Saturday 6 October 2018

A day in the Life of Pricklington Palace.

Gills Hog Blog Number 7, or a Post from the Palace.

A day in the life of Pricklngton Palace.

There is no 'typical' day in the Palace. Hedgehogs come and go. Some are released and some do not survive, such is the nature of rescue. My day today started at 02.30 nipping outside to the Intensive care incubator to give some fluids to a very poorly hedgehog who has undergone surgery for an extensive maggot infested strimmer injury. I had to do this by injection as this one is not able to take anything orally right now. He was very emaciated and weak so has a lot to conquer if he is to survive. This one I have named Duffy as he came from South Duffield. One of those that pulls on the heart strings. I really hope he makes it after everything he has been through.
I went back to bed to get up at 0600 to repeat the process. I cleaned out the other hutches and weighed those residents whilst I was there. One required its second treatment for a very common (but deadly) internal parasite. Easily done and he can be left undisturbed until tomorrow. The others were a quick weigh, clean out and back to their beds.

Last night  a big male hog with an unseen wound was admitted. He was very uncooperative but had some strength which can only be a good thing.. Lots of maggots around and I spent three hours cleaning those out but he has a nasty offensive discharge around his ear/neck and so I will drop him at the vets as soon as it opens. I was able to administer an antibiotic and some multivitamins and a painkiller so hopefully they will be doing some good and he has eaten well  so that's a great sign. I have called this one Captain as he is from Hook. A great find by a friend as it happens.

The funniest thing happened though whilst I was attending to him in that I felt something brush my ankle. With a slight reflex of horror (was it a rat?!) I looked down to see a tiny hedgehog who had such an attitude. If it had been a human I think it would have shouted 'Burger and chips and make it snappy!!' It had come in through the hole we leave for our cat! A self admission!!! He ate hungrily and spat and hissed at me but is now tucked up , full of vitamins and I'll wait for a faecal specimen. Ony 340 grams so seriously underweight. Called this one 'STRUT' and I speak his name in capitals and handle him with care.

The vets have called and Captain has done well (thank you End Cottage team). A great job by them and back to my care for what i hope will be a full recovery. The discharge is a nasty ear infection.

Another strimmer injury which is extensive but healthy looking so if this one has some fight left it will eventually make it back outside to the wild where it belongs. 

I continued my 4hrly fluids for Duffy but sadly he passed away at 2300hrs. All too much, too late for this wee chap. He was warm and comfy at the end though.  Little strut has a massive infestation of  Capillaria (an intestinal nematode). Treatment started and his attitude and appetite should see him make a full recovery.

Night all!!!!

Rescue, rehabilitate, release. 


Gill Dixon runs Pricklington Palace Hedgehog rescue here in Howden. Purely voluntarily and single handedly. Please visit  www.facebook.com/pricklingtonpalace/ to support her work. 
Donations via www.paypal.me/Dixon1829

No comments:

Post a Comment